The weather this year was pretty much ideal: a pleasant sunny day but not too hot.
Allowing for no-shows and a few entries on the day, we started the field with 302 entrants, which regarding that we aim for 300 wasn’t bad!
Results for the 2019 event:
- First Man Jonathan Kinder: 4 hours 4 minutes
- First Lady Wona Donnelly: 4 hours 48 minutes (exactly as her last year time!)
- First Male Veteran Billy Naylor: 4 hours 5 minutes
- First Lady Veteran Sheila Bradley: 5 hours 8 minutes
- First Local Man Joseph Jones: 7 hours 15 minutes
- First Local Lady Georgina Martin: 8 hours 21 minutes
All the background work that goes into organising the WPW, both during the year and on the day, is all the more worthwhile when we see all the smiling faces at the checkpoints and at the finish and we really do appreciate all the nice comments that you make, even if they are made through the pain of just completing 26 miles!
As in previous years we were ably assisted in the event by Kinder Mountain Rescue Team who did a marvellous job looking after the medical issues of the day and also by RAYNET who looked after all the communications. Without the help of these two teams it would be impossible to consider organising an event like the White Peak Walk.
As always, we would like thank the many helpers who give their time freely to man the checkpoints, the kitchen and the registration/control desk – without their help, we could not possibly continue to stage this event to the quality that has developed over the years.
We look forward to seeing you again next year! (11th July 2020)
The WPW organising team, Peter, Colin, Al and Mike